M.Sc. (in progress) - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign 2015-2018
Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences
Thesis: Habitat and Landscape Factors Affecting Amphibian Populations in an Agricultural Landscape
B.S. Magnu cum laude - Messiah College, Mechanicsburg, PA 2011-2015
Major in Biology, with a concentration in Ecology
Thesis: Testing Rapid-Assessment Models for the Conservation of Woodland Vernal Pools in South-central Pennsylvania
- Swartz, TM and JR MIller. Trapping Amphibians and Their Predators: Tradeoffs in Trap Design and Performance. Herpetological Review. In Review.
- Nelson, SB, JJ Coon, CJ Duchardt, JD Fischer, SJ Halsey, AJ Kranz, CM Parker, SC Schneider, TM Swartz, and JR Miller. Patterns and mechanisms of invasive plant impacts on North American birds: a systematic review. Biological Invasions. In press.
- Swartz, TM and JR Miller. 2016. Geographic distribution: Pseudacris crucifer. Herpetological Review. 47(4): 624.
- Swartz, TM and JR Miller. 2016. Geographic distribution: Thamnophis radix. Herpetological Review. 47(4): 632.
- Swartz, TM, E Stuart, DK Foster, and ED Lindquist. 2016. Testing Rapid-Assessment Models for the Conservation of Woodland Vernal Pools in South-central Pennsylvania. Northeastern Naturalist 23(3):339-351.
Swartz, TM and JR Miller. 10 February 2017. Amphibian Communities of Human-constructed Ponds. 19th Annual Symposium of the Graduates in Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana, Illinois.
Swartz, TM and E Stuart. 10 May 2015. Testing Rapid Assessment Tools for the Conservation of Vernal Pools in South-central Pennsylvania. Poster and oral presentation at the Spring Research Symposium at Messiah College, Mechanicsburg, PA.
HONORS & AWARDS
- Iowa Department of Natural Resources Wildlife Diversity Grant ($2100) 2017
- NRES Educational Opportunity Grant ($400) 2016
- Prairie Biotic Research Small Grants Program ($1000) 2016
- Jonathan Baldwin Turner Graduate Fellowship (University of Illinois) 2015 – 2017
- Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities & Colleges 2015
- Steinbrecher Undergraduate Research Grant ($3800) 2014
- Rotary International Student-of-the-Month January 2013
- Messiah College President’s Scholarship and participant in College Honors Program 2011 – 2015
Field Technician (July 2015) Dept. of Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences, Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Ecological Program Specialist Intern [Feb - June 2015]
Bureau of Forestry, Pennsylvania Dept. of Conservation and Natural Resources]
Animal Care Assistant [August 2012 - Feb 2015]
Department of Biology, Messiah College, Mechanicsburg, PA